How to find a qualified forklift operator in St. Louis
When it comes to finding a forklift operator in St. Louis, you need qualified professionals that you can rely on. Forklift drivers who have specialized training can help your team work efficiently and improve productivity while being mindful of safety restrictions.
At Action Logistix, we specialize in matching various types of qualified professionals with warehouse employers. We’re sharing our top tips for finding reliable forklift operators in the St. Louis area.
1. Identify the skills you’re looking for and a budget
Forklift operators play an essential role in keeping warehouses productive and efficient, which is why they’re often needed on an urgent basis. However, it’s important not to rush the hiring process. Every industrial facility has its own specific needs, so you should take the time to identify exactly what you’re looking for.
First, outline the skills that your company needs. For example, you may want to consider candidates with:
- A certain amount of experience as a forklift operator.
- Specific lifting abilities.
- Experience with inventory management.
- Knowledge of relevant safety standards.
Once you have a desired skill set, then you can come up with a budget. In order to attract the highest quality employees, you’ll need to offer a competitive compensation package.
You can either research this on your own, or you can work with a warehouse staffing agency to make things easier. For instance, you can provide your desired skill set to our team at Action Logistix, and we’ll handle everything on your behalf, including salary negotiation.
2. Conduct pre-employment screenings
When searching for a forklift operator in St. Louis, it’s important to seek out candidates who are qualified and dependable. In order to verify their abilities, we recommend conducting pre-employment screenings.
Your pre-employment screenings should cover several areas:
- Personality testing: Personality testing allows you to identify candidates with the traits you’re looking for. Do you need someone who can take on more of a leadership position? Do you need a forklift operator who is willing to work in a team setting? With personality testing, you can also ensure that new employees will fit with your company’s culture.
- Aptitude and skills testing: Verifying a candidate's skills and abilities will enable you to build a fully qualified workforce. Be sure to include position-specific testing and general problem-solving assessments.
- Drug testing: Forklift drivers who are under the influence of drugs present major safety hazards to your team. This is why we always recommend screening candidates for drugs before making a final decision on hiring.
3. Consider working with a warehouse staffing agency
If you’re not able to invest time into finding qualified candidates on your own, then you should consider working with a warehouse staffing agency, such as Action Logistix. We can take care of everything on your behalf, and we have a large network of forklift operators in St. Louis who are ready to work.
Our team also conducts thorough pre-employment screening to ensure you have a reliable, skilled workforce. Learn more about how we can match your company with the qualified warehouse professionals you need.
Contact us about finding forklift operators in the greater St. Louis area
The team at Action Logistix can help with your warehouse staffing needs, whether you’re seeking forklift drivers, material handlers, and more. Contact us today to find your next great employee.